Student Eligibility

Student aid eligibility is based on several factors, depending on federalstate, institutional and private aid offered. Eligibility for federal student aid is based on financial need and on several other factors. Students are expected to follow all policies, procedures, and regulations regarding financial assistance programs. The effectiveness of the federal student aid programs depends on the accuracy of the data reported on the FAFSA by students. Some students will be selected for Verification which means that additional documentation and or forms will be required to complete their file so that their financial assistance may be processed.

Federal Aid Basic Eligibility Criteria: (source)

  • Have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau);
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program;
  • Provide consent and approval to have your federal tax information transferred directly into your 2024–25 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form, if you’re applying for aid for July 1, 2024, to June 30, 2025;
  • Sign the certification statement on the FAFSA form stating that you’re not in default on a federal student loan, you do not owe money on a federal student grant, and you’ll only use federal student aid for educational purposes; and
  • Show you’re qualified to obtain a college or career school education.

You can show you’re qualified to obtain a college or career school education by:

  • Having a high school diploma or a state-recognized equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate;
  • Completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law (or—if state law does not require a homeschooled student to obtain a completion credential—completing a high school education in a homeschool setting that qualifies as an exemption from compulsory attendance requirements under state law.

*Who is an Eligible Non-Citizen?

U.S. Permanent Residents with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or Conditional Permanent Residents (I-551C) or those with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) showing the designations of Refugee, Asylum Granted, Parole or Cuban-Haitian Entrant or those with an Immigration Court document approving Asylum or documentation of entering the U.S. under provisions of the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act. For more details please click here.

To learn more about the Federal Aid:

To learn more about the California State Aid: