Federal Pell Grants

The Federal Pell Grant, awarded based on a “financial need” formula using FAFSA-submitted criteria, is a non-repayable federal grant for post-secondary education.

The Federal Pell Grant determines eligibility based on criteria submitted through the FAFSA, and it doesn’t require repayment. Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduates without a bachelor’s or higher degree, often forming the basis for additional financial aid.

To determine eligibility, the U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula established by Congress to evaluate the information provided on FAFSA. The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. The student receives a Student Aid Report (SAR) which contains the EFC. AC receives the EFC electronically from the (Central Processing System) CPS.

The maximum award is $6,345 for the 2020/2021award year (July 1, 2020, to June 30, 2021) and $6,495 for the 2021/2022 award year (July 1, 2021, to June 30, 2022). To determine a student’s award amount, we calculate the cost of attendance and match it with the EFC. Starting from the 2017/2018 award year, eligible students can now receive Federal Pell Grant funds for 150% of their annual award. If a student’s Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Limit (LEU) nears the 600% cap and their remaining Pell Grant eligibility drops below $1, Angeles College does not grant Pell Grants. However, if the student has the lowest EFC, they may still eligible for FSEOG if funds are available.

Year-Round Pell

Section 401(b)(8) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA), as added by section 310 of the Department of Education Appropriations Act, 2017 (Title III of Division H of P.L. 115-31, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017), allows a student to receive Federal Pell Grant (Pell Grant) funds up to 150 percent of the student’s Pell Grant Scheduled Award for an award year. This provision is effective beginning with the 2017-2018 award year.


  • Must have demonstrated financial need.
  • Must be meeting all minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress standards. Visit the Financial Aid Office for more information.
  • Must have a completed Financial Aid File and have received official award notification from the Financial Aid Office.

For more information, please visit: