Federal Pell Grants

The Federal Pell Grant is a type of post-secondary, educational federal grant that does not require repayment and is awarded on a “financial need” formula determined using criteria submitted through the FAFSA. 

Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or higher degree. For many students, Pell Grants provide a foundation of financial aid to which other aid may be added.

To determine eligibility, the U.S. Department of Education uses a standard formula established by Congress to evaluate the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number. The student receives a Student Aid Report (SAR) which contains the EFC. AC receives the EFC electronically from the (Central Processing System) CPS.

The maximum award is $6,345 for the 2020/2021award year (July 1, 2020, to June 30, 2021) and $6,495 for the 2021/2022 award year (July 1, 2021, to June 30, 2022). To determine a student’s award amount, the cost of attendance is calculated and matched with the EFC. Beginning with the 2017/2018 award year, an eligible student may now receive Federal Pell Grant funds for up to 150 percent of the student’s annual Pell Grant for an award year. When a student’s Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Limit (LEU) is approaching the limit (600%) and their remaining Pell Grant eligibility is less than $1, Angeles College does not award Pell Grant. However, if the student has the lowest EFC, they may still eligible for FSEOG if funds are available.

Year-Round Pell

Section 401(b)(8) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA), as added by section 310 of the Department of Education Appropriations Act, 2017 (Title III of Division H of P.L. 115-31, the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017), allows a student to receive Federal Pell Grant (Pell Grant) funds up to 150 percent of the student’s Pell Grant Scheduled Award for an award year. This provision is effective beginning with the 2017-2018 award year.


  • Students must have completed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current award year. Visit https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa.
  • Must have demonstrated financial need.
  • Must be meeting all minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress standards. Visit the Financial Aid Office for more information.
  • Must have a completed Financial Aid File and have received official award notification from the Financial Aid Office.

For more information, please visit: 


We look forward to seeing you!